Appalachian Young People's Theatre
The Appalachian Young People's Theatre is a dynamic component of the Department of Theatre & Dance. Founded in 1972, AYPT works in partnership with communities and public schools of Northwestern North Carolina to bring high-quality, affordable live theatre experiences to young audiences who otherwise see little or no theatre.
Read about our 40th Anniversary.
The AYPT has a two-pronged mission:
- to produce a variety of quality plays with educational value, including fairy tales, folk tales, musicals and plays with contemporary themes for K-8 audiences.
- to provide practical experience in producing and performing for young audiences for students seeking degrees in Theatre and/or Education.
Each Spring, The Appalachian Young People's Theatre company, consisting of dedicated undergraduate theatre students, tours to schools, libraries and museums, performing to approximately 7,500 young people. AYPT has also performed at the North Carolina Theatre Conference and the Southeastern Theatre Conference Invitational Children's Theatre Festival. In 1996, the Constance Welsh Award for excellence in theatre for youth, was presented to AYPT by the North Carolina Theatre Conference.
Simple sets, props, costumes and music are used to bring the Appalachian Young People's Theatre productions to life. The students participating in AYPT coordinate their talents and energy, under the supervision of the faculty director, to build and rehearse the shows for the first half of the Spring semester. The troupe then loads the show in a van and trailer to tour Northwestern North Carolina for seven weeks every Tuesday and Thursday, plus three-days in residence at Appalachian's Greer Arena Theatre. In addition, each Fall AYPT performs a play on campus and at the Hiddenite Arts Celebration in Hiddenite, North Carolina. The Appalachian Young People's Theatre productions are adaptable to a variety of performances spaces including gymnasiums, auditoriums and multi-purpose rooms. Teacher/student study guides are provided with all public school performances.
|1988||Just So Stories||1996||The Princess and the Pea +
In the Beginning
|2005||Fool of the World|
|1989||Androcles and the Lion +Two Pails of Water||1997||Huckleberry Finn +
Puss in Boots
|2006||The Secret Garden +
The Garden of Rikki Tikki Tavi
|1990||Fool of the World +
|1998||Wilma's Revenge +
This Is Not A Pipe Dream
|1991||13 Bells of Boglewood||1999||Step on a Crack +
The Tolstoy Story Play
|2008||Cows Don't Fly And Other Known Facts|
The Ransom of Red Chief
Tarheel Tales +
How Things Happen in Threes
|2009||The Lake at the End of the World|
The Big Top
|2001||The Fisherman And His Wife
+ Gold Fever
|1994||Jack and the Wonder Beans
+ Daneil Fox and Friends
|2002||The Arkansaw Bear +
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
|2011||Drum Song of Africa: Choriato's Journey|
|1995||Reasons to Be Cheerful +
|2003||Stuart Little +
Wiley and the Hairy Man
|2004||The Emperor's New Clothes||2013||Luna|
What Our Critics Say
- "Dear AYPT, your show was better than perfect. It's double perfect. I laughed so hard on all the funny parts that I almost cryed. I'm always going to remember the show as long as I live. "
2nd grader, Fleetwood Elementary
- "Dear AYPT, I loved your play. I liked the part when Ellie frose the voice. I think that it was the best play in the world. I will see you next year. "
2nd grader Fleetwood Elementary
- "Dear Wilma, I think you are smart and cool. I wish I was like you. Your my favorite character in the show. I hope when I get older I will get to do plays like you do. In the show Tracy was your friend and I think that you should give her some advice because she had some weird plans. "
4th grader, Whittenburg Elementary
- "The children and I thoroughly enjoyed the play. It depicted a problem most all of us are familiar with! Please come back!"
Lynn Brooks, Grade 2 teacher, Millers Creek Primary
For more information contact:
Teresa Lee, AYPT Director
Department of Theatre & Dance
Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina 28608
ASU Box 32123
Boone, NC 28608
480 Howard Street
Boone, NC 28608
Chapell Wilson Hall