Honors Program in Dance
Dance Studies has an Honors Program!
Learn more about the Appalachian State Honors College
In the 2012-13 academic year, the department initiated an honors program that provides the opportunity for highly qualified Dance Studies majors to graduate with ‘Honors in Dance Studies’.
To apply for the departmental honors program:
- Applicants must complete 45 semester hours, including 12 semester hours in dance studies, with an overall GPA of 3.45.
- Admission into the dance studies honors program is by application to, and by recommendation of, the departmental honors committee.
- Space in the honors program is limited, and not all students meeting the application criteria will be accepted.
In order to graduate with “Honors in Dance Studies,” a student must
- Maintain an overall GPA of 3.50 and a GPA of 3.50 or higher in dance studies courses.
- Make a grade of no less than “B” in any honors-designated course.
- Complete 9 semester hours of honors courses in the department by satisfactorily completing an honors contract between the student and the professor(s) teaching the course(s).
- Six semester hours may be taken from two of the following courses: DAN 3430, DAN 4460, DAN 4480, or DAN 4870, or students may opt to take other dance studies honors courses by arrangement with the honors professor before semester classes begin.
- Complete DAN 4510, Senior Honors Thesis/Project (3 s.h.). The honors thesis/project must include a dance studies professor as the primary advisor and a professor from outside the major as a secondary advisor.
Note: The honors program in dance studies requires a minimum of three semesters to complete. Honors courses in dance studies are not offered during summer sessions.
For specific questions, please contact Marianne Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Faculty Led Travel
New York City: Theatre
New York City: Dance
I.G. Greer Studio
ASU Box 32123
Boone, NC 28608
480 Howard Street
Boone, NC 28608
Chapell Wilson Hall