The Bachelor of Arts degree in Theatre Arts with a concentration in Theatre Design/Technology is open to students through an interview with the design/technology faculty. Once admitted to Appalachian or during the first year of residence, the student should fill out an application form and submit it along with a current production resume. The student will be asked to present a design and/or technical portfolio. In order to continue in the program, the student must maintain a minimum overall GPA of 2.7 in the (*) designated major courses as noted on the program of study for this concentration. The student must successfully complete a portfolio review and interview each year to determine the student’s ability to continue in the Theatre Design/Technology concentration. Failure to do so could result in the student being dropped from the concentration.
Requirements for the Portfolio Review:
The portfolio itself should include:
- Title page with name, intended profession and other relevant info.
- It must be both neat and coherently organized.
- Neatly and coherently organized Individual portfolio projects.
- Good quality and relevant project photos and other visual elements.
- Neatly, consistently and accurately labeled portfolio projects.
- Supplemental materials will be conveniently included in the portfolio.
- Effective showcasing of the students work.
The portfolio presentation should include the following:
- A neat and organized table.
- A name plate will be prominent on the student's table.
- A table effectively showcasing the student’s strongest theatre work
- Neat and appropriately selected attire.
- Professional and personable discussion with visitors.
- The student will be able to effectively answer questions about their work.
- The ability to reference portfolio materials when answering visitor's questions.
The student's resume will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Prominently displayed full contact information (phone and email) along with name and profession.
- A consistently labeled, neat and effectively organized resume.
- Accurate project titles and positions held.
- Accurate, complete and appropriate references.