We understand that sending your student off to college is a life-changing experience. Our department strives to offer a community of involvement and acceptance to help create an ideal college experience. Thank you for considering entrusting us with your student's education. We invite you to learn more about our degree programs.
Our program is designed to offer high-quality instruction and abundant opportunities for students to gain hands-on experiences. The combination of classroom and applied learning through co-curricular productions provides our students with marketable skills and a strong resume as they enter the workforce, continue in professional training or pursue graduate degrees. The link 25 Skills lists some of the advantages a Theatre major has to offer a potential employer.
What do our graduates do within 5 years of graduation? Data from the past 5 years shows:
- 96% of our BA Theatre graduates are employed or are in graduate or professional study.
- The majority of that number, 61%, are in theatre related jobs or continued study/training in theatre.
- 86% of our Dance Studies graduates are employed or are in further study in graduate or certification programs. Of those graduates:
- 59% are employed in the dance field or in a related bodywork discipline such as Pilates or Yoga.
- 14% are working in their second field of study or an additional field.
- 13% are in graduate schools in dance, counseling or education.
- Our Theatre Teacher Education program is widely respected across the state for producing highly qualified and talented K-12 teachers.
Our online ASU Playbill lists brief biographies of some our graduates.
Engaged learning from the beginning
We encourage our students to engage in collaborative work with their peers and to develop mentor relationships with various faculty. This encouragement begins with our First Year Showcase that highlights the incoming talent and involves all new and committed Theatre and Dance students in an ensemble experience within the first 6 weeks of the fall semester. This experience is often the beginning of lasting friendships.
New students are not limited to the First Year Showcase and are encouraged to audition for other Theatre and Dance productions. Students do NOT have to be a declared major to audition and all currently enrolled students are encouraged to participate. Review our upcoming season of performances.
A note about admission requirements
- Any student may choose to pursue a Bachelor of Arts in Dance Studies or in General Theatre without an audition or interview beyond admission to the University.
- Audition/interviews are required for the BA in Theatre Performance.
- Portfolio/interviews are required for the BA in Theatre Design and Technology.
- Admission to the College of Education is required for the BA in Teaching Theatre Arts and requires a semester of student teaching in a supervised public school.
Thanks for visiting, please explore this site further and be sure to investigate the Frequently Asked Questions. If you have additional questions about the program or life at ASU, you can ask a student or request information, or do both! We welcome your visit at any time.